BigCommerce has announced “Pinterest Buyable Pins” allowing merchants to take advantage of sales through an alternate sales channel (using the ‘BigCommerce Channel Manager’).
Buyable Pins let Pinterest users find a merchant’s products, learn more about them, and purchase — without leaving Pinterest.
Buyable Pins are like regular pins, but feature a blue “Buy it” button. This enables Pinterest users to purchase products directly through the Pinterest app. Additional product information includes:
- Stock availability
- Size and color variations
- Product description
- Store favicon
- Link to the store’s return policy
- Link to the store’s Pinterest Marketplace page
The setup itself is relatively straightforward, however there are limitations that will considerably reduce its deployment on bigcommerce sites. Specifically:
- payment gateway MUST be Paypal by Braintree
- site currency must be in USD
- international shipping is currently not supported
- only fixed rate or free shipping calculations are supported (no real-time calculations)
- product options can only be size and color
- Pinterest approval is required and a Pinterest for Business merchant account must be established
- products must be in stock or inventory tracking enabled within bigcommerce
Meet these conditions? The “biggie” here (other than having to be based in the US) is using PayPal by Braintree as the payment gateway. Depending on the bigcommerce plan it may make sense to switch to PayPal by Braintree to take advantage of the BigCommerce negotiated rates AND utilize Pinterest Buyable Pins.
PayPal by Braintree pricing
Standard: 2.9% + $0.30 per transaction
Negotiated rates with BigCommerce
Plus plan: 2.5% + $0.30 per transaction
Pro plan: 2.2% + $0.30 per transaction