Once content has been added to your site its important that this content is “marked up” in a way that is search engine friendly.
Heading tags are used to differentiate the headings on a web page from the rest of the content. The most important heading tag is the h1 and least important is the h6. Heading tags are used to represent different sections of web page content and they can have a significant impact on both SEO and usability of your site.
- Relevancy: search engine spiders check the relevancy of the header tag with the content associated with it
- Keyword Consistency: search engine spiders check the keyword consistency between the header tags and other parts of the page
- h1 Tag: The h1 is the most important tag and it should never be skipped on a page. Search spiders pay attention to the words used in the h1 tag as it should contain a basic description of the page content, just as the page does
- Enriched User Experience: heading tags give the user a clear idea of the page content
Where We Can Help (click!)
- to determine whether the base template files contain the correct heading tags for the main page layouts (home page, category page, product page, web page, brands page)
- for content; are heading tags (particularly the h1 heading tag) being used in the home page, product descriptions, category descriptions, banners or web page content?
- edit the template files as necessary
- edit the website content to standardize the use of heading tags
- style the “new” heading tags (font, font-size, font-weight, colors..) to suit the overall feel and look of the site
Rich Snippets Data Markup (google)
Rich snippets (the lines of text that are displayed under every search result) are designed to summarize the content of a page in a way that makes it even easier for users to understand the page content.
Rich snippets markup for products on a BigCommerce site will include the following:
- Company or Organization
- Product Name
- Product Image URL
- Product Description (see Meta Descriptions for details)
- Brand or Manufacturer
- Aggregate Review Rating (see Reviews for details)
Where We Can Help
- product data (e.g. are brands and sku’s used?)
- apply rich snippets data markup to the product and category page layouts
- add missing product data
- add google+ profile code to the site, link back to the site and style to suit
- test using google’s rich snippet data markup testing tool
- setup google account (i.e. webmaster tools) and submit sitemap
- add google analytics code to the site