Yes, wordpress has a million (maybe more!) plugins. And, yes, your site will require installed plugins, plugins to be updated, plugins to be deactivated and deleted, and plugins to ignore.
If you’re fortunate enough to have a developer that has installed many of these ‘starter’ plugins then great. If you purchased a wordpress theme that allows for the installation of the required plugins then great again. If not then here is an excellent place to start.
- akismet spam protection for wordpress
- jetpack by wordpress.com to increase web traffic, view site & post stats, increase site speed and protect the site from hackers; includes publicize to automatically post to social media channels
- yoast SEO to improve search engine optimization, optimize the site and write better content
- google xml sitemaps generates an XML sitemap for search engines
- google analytics to easily install ga universal tracking code without inserting code